While searching about content relating to ‘compression socks‘, have you come across queries like “Can you sleep in compression socks?” Chances are that you would say “YES”. But, many of you would still be in confusion regarding the same.
This is where the following post empowers the esteemed readers about one of the most searched and obvious queries, “Can you sleep with compression socks on?”
Well, although few people have slept wearing it, yet it is not certainly recommended. Yes, if they haven’t experienced any bad effects up till now, but you can never be sure in the future. Hence, it is certainly not encouraged, as it may lead to health-related issues if continued to wear while sleeping.
Reason for not sleeping in compression socks
While you are lying in a sleeping posture, your circulatory system is able to conveniently work to its maximum. Since your veins can easily push the blood without having to fight against gravity. However, as you wear compression socks during sleep or on bed, it may exert pressure on the ankle which is certainly not required. Therefore, based on the query, “Can you sleep in compression socks?” it is generally advised to only wear compression socks right when you get up from bed in the morning to avoid any inconvenience and take them off, while you go to sleep.
What is the exact functioning of compression socks?
Compression socks give required pressure to your lower legs so that it is able to create as well as maintain required blood flow. This ensures that you are in a healthy and sound manner which equally reduces swelling as well as discomfort. There are situations, where the doctor may recommend the same in case of poor blood flow, especially if you are experiencing the following situations:-
These exceptional cases give everyone a better insight into the need to get in touch with the doctor who can better assist from queries such as “Can you sleep with compression socks on?”
Let’s know more compression socks:-
- Compression socks are available according to the strength of available compression. Additionally, they are also available in various colors, lengths and sizes.
- Based on the size of your leg, you can opt for the required one and your doctor will ensure whether it actually fits properly or not. Well, on the same lines, they should feel comfortable to you, and never too tight, so that you feel uneasy.
- Based on the doctor’s need, you may even opt to wear in either of the legs.
- You should get 2 stockings or 2 pairs (if you are wearing on both legs) This aspect usually gives you an easy option of washing and drying up the other.
One important aspect which comes out from the post in relation to the query, “Can you sleep in compression socks?” Well, there are exceptional cases which only the doctors can suggest. So, consult them as they will regularly monitor your progress. Likewise, your compression socks will be measured every 3 to 6 months to give you another pair accordingly.
Talking about other exceptional cases, for example, if you are diagnosed with lymphedema, then the doctor can recommend you to wear compression socks at night as it can check stubborn swelling.
Can you sleep in compression socks?
As the post has a detailed answer to the same query, so one thing is clear, due to a medical reason, the doctor can suggest one wear. Other than that, even wearing light compression socks while sleeping can’t be termed as wrong, but you shouldn’t expect any benefit from it.
Technically speaking, the answer is No, unless otherwise suggested by the doctor.
Due to changing lifestyle, compression socks can become a necessity for those who undergo the following situations:-
- Due to our professional needs which necessitate us to sit for hours together as the freedom of your feet is duly compromised. For those whose health issues take a toll in such situations, then compression socks are recommended which increases the level of your comfort.
- Similarly, in situations, where the nature of job require us to stand throughout the day.
- Pregnant women who may be prone to leg and ankle swelling and are recommended with compression socks.
- Likewise, if you are undertaking a long journey these compression socks address your concerns for sure.
In short, your doctor acts as the commanding force who will suggest you either go for compression socks or not. This finally addresses the most basic and detailed answer to the query: “Can you sleep with compression socks on?”Therefore, it is advisable to only have your compression socks for day-to-day use. In this way, your legs can breathe at night with peace as well, as you can indeed wear them after a few hours, the next morning.